LARRY L. COATS
For over 40 years, Larry Coats has prosecuted patent applications before the United States Patent Office, litigated patent infringement cases in various Federal District courts, and argued cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Larry strives to do quality work that favorably impacts his clients’ businesses. He is experienced in many areas of Intellectual Property, including patent and trademark infringement litigation, as well as the preparation and prosecution of patent applications before the United States Patent Office. He has served a lead counsel in numerous patent and trademark infringement litigations. Larry has also drafted and negotiated patent and trademark license agreements. His experience in patent prosecution extends to a variety of technologically diverse areas. He manages an international water and wastewater treatment practice that focuses on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications throughout the world on various areas of water and wastewater treatment.
Larry obtained his Bachelor of Science in Biological and Agricultural Engineering from North Carolina State University, and his Juris Doctor was earned from the University of North Carolina. Admitted to practice law in the State of North Carolina as well as in Pennsylvania, he is also registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He is a member of the American Intellectual Property Association, North Carolina Bar Association, and Wake County Bar Association.
- North Carolina, 1973
- Pennsylvania, 1972
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 1969
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1982
- North Carolina Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member, 1998
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Wake County Bar Association, Member
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- J.D. – 1969
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- B.S. – 1967
- Major: Biological & Agricultural Engineering